Monday 28 September 2020

How did I get here, and what is that tube?

 I'm not sure if you guys have notice my tube in my photos... 

See it around my neck? 

When we got the bad news, about the Big C, I had been at the dogtor for over a week. I was really sick. 

It started on the 30th of August, one minute I was making sure the human shared her breakfast with me, and next I was hunched up in pain and shivering from being cold. She rushed me to the emergency vet (it was a Sunday), my lips were blue and they had to put me on oxygen, I'd gone into shock.

My human had to sign lots of paperwork and answer scary questions about what to do if my heart stopped... Then she had to leave me there.

When my oxygen levels were better they did some xrays and found my liver and heart were enlarged. They needed to look further, but had to wait till I was stronger to do an ultrasound. A few days later they did and saw my kidney was full of liquid, and there were masses in my liver and bladder. The next day I had a big snooze and they had a look in my tummy. They took some samples and sent them to a lab. They eventually came back to say that there are nasty tumours in my liver and bladder, that they can't cut out or treat with chemo. 

Boy was I feeling rough after that! And, because of Covid-19 precautions I wasn't allowed to see my family... I just didn't feel like eating, so they had to get my food to me another way... Introducing, the tube...


I came home on the 11th of September with the tube. The human would wizz up my food, squirt it into the tube, right into my tummy. I needed all my food this way for about a week. Then I gradually started eating a little more myself each day.

By the 22nd I was eating all my food myself! I had to do that for a whole week... Until today, when I got the tube taken out!


That is the story, getting the tube was a big thing, but I don't think I'd be here today without it, so we know the human made the right decision. 

16 comments:

  1. Hi Dougall
    Thanks for visit my blog. Yes I'm still here, and blogging away. Gail and I are so very sad to learn about your illness, but we can see that your humans are doing the very best for you, and we do like your bucket list. Please keep in touch.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to ticking off the stuff on the bucket list, I've been working on one of the activities this week.
      Stay well brother.

      Delete
  2. You've had a hard time of it, Dougall, but we're happy that the tube is gone and you can eat on your own. We are sending you lots and lots of positive vibes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly. I need to keep an eye on my human. I think it's been pretty hard on her too.

      Delete
  3. Dougall I'm glad you reached out to let me know what you are going through. Time is just a continuum that is going to take many forms. I'm glad you are still here for us to see now but even in the unseen you will be with us. Now did a tube steak go down that tube?
    Your Friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I wish! It was this special food for doggos with heart issues... Blugh!

      Delete
  4. Glad you are able to eat on your own and the tube is gone. Nice to know that the tube work well for you though.
    Prayers and Hugs. Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Dougal, we came to visit and now we are sad. We are so sorry about the evil C. It seems like it likes to take hold of so many and it is so nasty. We are glad that tube was helpful, and we are going to cross our paws for you to have lots and lots of happy days ahead. Hugs.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary , glad all went as well as it could giving the circumstances. Hugs little one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dougall, that is super duper scary! Butts, SO GLADS it worked out, and you gots feelin' betters. That is one PAWSOME TUBE!
    Sendin' lots of POTP my furiend! (and some margaritas ☺)
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those margaritas sound great (are there enough for my peep?)

      Delete
  8. OMD Dougall! You've been through the wars....so scary! We're happy you managed to beat that horrible time and get the tube removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very scary. The worst was being away from the peep for so long...

      Delete